Breast Ultrasound in Long Island, Queens, & Manhattan
What is a breast ultrasound?
A breast ultrasound, also known as ultrasonography or sonography, is a test that uses sound waves to create pictures of your breast tissue. The test is able to show every area of your breast, even the tissues that connect with the chest wall, which are sometimes difficult to see with mammography. Unlike x-rays and other imaging technologies, ultrasound does not use radiation to create images, so it is safe to use and does no harm to your body.
Why is a breast ultrasound performed?
Breast ultrasound screening is not an alternative to mammography, but can sometimes help your doctor to:
- Look at a potential irregularity found by a mammogram
- Investigate a breast lump found during a physical exam
- Guide your doctor during a breast biopsy
What does a breast ultrasound involve?
During a breast ultrasound at Neighborhood Radiology Services, you will be asked to lie down on one of our comfortable exam tables while a small amount of gel is applied to your breast. The gel allows the ultrasound machinery to make full contact with your body and deliver high-quality sound waves through your chest.
Next, your technician will place the ultrasound device, called a transducer, on your breast and move it around slowly to capture multiple images of your breast tissue from different angles.
After the exam is complete, one of our radiologists will interpret your ultrasound results and will report the information back to you or your referring doctor.
What are the benefits of having a breast ultrasound?
While a breast ultrasound should not replace your regular mammogram, it can help to detect breast conditions and provide a number of other benefits, including:
- Non-invasive and painless procedure
- Can be done during one office visit
- No exposure to radiation
- May increase the ability to detect breast cancer when used in addition to mammography
- Can help detect abnormalities for women with dense breasts
- Performed at a facility designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR)
If you need to book a breast ultrasound, contact our board-certified radiologists at Neighborhood Radiology Services, with locations throughout the New York Metropolitan Area. Fill out the form on this page to request an appointment or call 800-220-2220 to learn more about our services.